In line with advice from the Victorian Chief Health Officer, the Victorian Government has announced that Melbourne has moved to Stage 4 restrictions and regional Victoria (including the Mitchell Shire) has moved to Stage 3 restrictions. Restrictions are in place to help slow the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) and save lives. For more information visit dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus. As an essential service, VicRoads is categorised as a Permitted Work Premises under the Public Industry and Safety sector of the government’s Stage 4 Industry Restrictions framework. As an approved provider of ancillary services to VicRoads, our operations to provide heavy vehicle training and assessment services is a permitted activity.
TLILIC2016 Licence to drive a Heavy Rigid Vehicle
Heavy Rigid Vehicle:
A Heavy Rigid Vehicle is a vehicle 8 tonnes GVM and above, with 3 or more axles, including truck & bus.
Booking Fee – $500.00 payable to confirm practical training and assessment date. Balance is payable before commencing practical training.
- 2 Day course (Beginner) – $1,900.00
- 1.5 Day course (intermediate) – $1,550.00
- 1 Day course (Experienced) – $1,200.00
- Saturday Fee (Applied per person, per day) 10%
This course is delivered over 1 or 2 days at our Seaford site.
What you’ll learn:
The heavy rigid truck licence course has been custom designed to develop vital driving skills and knowledge necessary to successfully gaining your heavy rigid licence.
- Systematically and efficiently controlling all vehicle functions
- Monitoring traffic and road conditions
- Managing vehicle condition and performance
- And effectively managing hazardous situations
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be provided with a Certificate of Competence which needs to be taken to VicRoads to process an official licence.
- A current Australian drivers licence: held for a minimum of 24 months, a secondary form of ID is also required
- You must be competent in the operation of a manual vehicle
- Pass an eyesight test
- Students who do not already hold a heavy vehicle licence are required to sit a written test
- Applicants on medication may require clearance from VicRoads (Clearance is required prior to the commencement of all training and assessment)
The heavy rigid truck licence course incorporates a variety of assessment tasks throughout including:
- Knowledge test
- Pre-operational checks
- Cabin drills
- Load securing
- Vehicle operation & control
COVE Training offers Truck Theory Sessions each week, free of charge. Call us for dates and further details.
Heavy Rigid Truck Licence Course Guide:
- On Road Drive Retest – $250.00
- Off Road Retest – $200.00
- Knowledge Test Retest – $50.00
- Hourly Training – $150.00
Further Information – COVE Training is VicRoads Accredited
- All applicants will be required to complete VicRoads paperwork and complete an eyesight test.
- Applicants on medication may require a medical clearance from VicRoads.
- Clearance from VicRoads is required prior to the commencement of all training and assessment.
- All applicants are encouraged to purchase a copy of the ‘Victorian Bus and Truck Drivers Handbook’ in order to complete their knowledge assessment.
- This can be purchased through COVE Training for $15 OR a PDF version can be downloaded here.
- Every applicant is required to sit and successfully pass the VicRoads knowledge assessment prior to any training and assessment. All truck training and testing is conducted from the Seaford office.
- Knowledge of how to drive a manual car is a recommended requirement for these licence typ
FINES VICTORIA SANCTIONS
- VicRoads now apply licence, registration and number plates sanction as directed by Fines Victoria.
- You will be required to confirm your licence permit is not currently suspended, disqualified cancelled or subject to a Fines Victoria Sanction. This will avoid having your test results not recognised.
- As an applicant you can open a ‘My VicRoads’ account to confirm licence currency on the date of assessment. Alternatively applicants can call Vicroads on 13 11 71
Please remember to confirm your eligibility on the date of the assessment.
Further Fines Victoria information can be found on www.fines.vic.gov.au website or call 1300 396 851
Further VicRoads information can be found on https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/road-rules/penalties/fines-victoria-sanctions
The heavy rigid truck licence course non-synchromesh gearbox is not that difficult to operate. In order to change gears the engine revs need to match the road speed for the gear change to happen successfully. This process is called doubling the clutch or double clutching. On the simplest level, the steps are as follows:
- Depress the clutch and disengage the current gear
- Let out the clutch to re-engage the neutral gear and then match the revs to the gear that you want to engage
- Depress the clutch and engage the next gear
A heavy rigid truck licence course synchromesh gearbox does not require the driver to double clutch as the gearbox has synchro rings which match the road speed and the engine revs which allows the gear to be selected. Many of the trucks doing local deliveries tend to use this type of gearbox as it is easier for the driver to operate and allows companies more choice when selecting drivers.
More trucks are being manufactured and purchased with automatic transmissions due technological improvements over the last decade. Automatic truck gearboxes are slightly different to car automatic gearboxes in that they are, essentially, an automated manual transmission. This means that there is an automated shifter changing gears for the driver in the manual gearbox.
If you think you need a heavy rigid truck licence then you will need to determine which licence will suit you best. If you choose to go for an unrestricted licence it will undoubtedly open the most doors for you, however learning to drive a non synchromesh gearbox requires more training and can be frustrating for some new learners. If you have a particular industry in mind where you would like to work and would like to know what sort of trucks are used in that industry, COVE Training have years of experience and industry contacts that can help you make the most informed choice when deciding which licence is right for you. Call 03 8773 9000 to speak to one of our friendly team.
Further Your Career with COVE Training
We are here to help
03 8773 9000
People Are Talking About COVE
Course Reviews Rating4.9 out of 5 stars (based on 612 reviews)
Course Reviews Rating
Construction Industry Induction
Educator presented the information in a very engaging and simple fashion and provided extra information when questions were asked
I did the online course and the lady in the office was very helpful in ensuring I was ready to go
I would happily do further study with Cove
Experience on the Course
To me as a Fijian
I love how the teacher explain everything to you, they are very patient with you, explain everything for you to know until you understand then he will continue the class again.
Well done and delivered.
This course was very well done and delivered thank you. The ladies on the phone in the office were helpful as well at the start getting set up for this course.
Training at 2 Convenient Locations
Note: Not all courses are available at all locations. Call for further details.